At lots of schools kids are given homework. Sometimes you might enjoy doing your homework, other times you might not be so happy to do it.
Things that make homework easier
- When you get home from school, have a healthy snack before you start your homework
- Try to set a regular time to do your homework that fits in with you and your family. Find out when you will be having dinner and anything else that might be happening
- If you have things like music or sport after school, make a time later on in the afternoon or evening to do your homework
- Try to find a place that is quiet
- If you have tried to do your homework but don't understand what you need to do, ask someone like mum or dad, or an older brother or sister, for help
- Make a list or chart to help you to decide what homework to do first, in order from most important to least important
- Teachers can help if you feel worried about homework or find it difficult to finish.
When you have done your homework, you can feel good about finishing it and can go to school feeling happy that you've done the work.
If you find that none of the things on this list are possible in your home, you might want to talk with Kids Helpline, your parents or your teacher.
If you want to talk about getting your homework done, or anything else, call Kids Helpline on 1800 55 1800.
Revised: 8 July 2013